Tuesday, December 24, 2013

5 Worst Movies of 2013

Honorable Mentions: Spring Breakers, The Fifth Estate, 2 Guns

Runner Up: Only God Forgives
This movie was so disappointing I actually got sad after watching it. After the trailer dropped earlier this year, it quickly became one of my most anticipated of 2013. Only God Forgives was Nicholas Winding Refn's to Drive, which also starred Ryan Gosling. Drive was one of the best movies of 2011, so I immediately interested when this movie announced; but after watching it, I was left with a hole in my stomach. What this movie did right was the cinematography, it's an absolutely beautiful movie; but what it did wrong, was just about everything else. The movie was just lacking in most fields, I just expected so much more and was severely let down. It was by no means the worst movie of the year, but it was easily the biggest let down.
5. A Good Day to Die Hard
Some movie franchises just don't know when to quit, unfortunately Die Hard is no different. The first movie in the franchise was released in 1988, and is often called the greatest action movie of all time. If you ask me they should have left it at that; not all the Die Hard movies are, Die Hard with a Vengence and Live Free or Die Hard were a lot of fun. But neither of them could capture the magic of the original. When I first heard they were making a new Die Hard, I was actually kind of excited; but the problem with this one is that it's feels like one of the most generic action movies ever. There is nothing outstanding about it, it's just so below average. It feels like this the script was just a random action movie that they rewrote for Die Hard. While I wouldn't go so far as to call it terrible, I remember leaving the theater rather unimpressed.
4. The Counselor
I don't just think this is a bad movie; I actually left the theater really upset because it was such a bad movie. The Counselor had all the potential in the world: an all star cast, a screenplay by one of America's greatest living authors, and an Oscar nominated Director. I'm not sure how this movie could have gone wrong, but somehow it did. There aren't many things I can actually complement this movie on, the cinematography was all right and at least some of the actors did the best they could. What this movie really messed up on was the writing; in a movie where they entire plot is moved along by the dialog, you need to make sure it's really good. What we got was one of the most poorly written movies released in 2013. This was a movie I had such high hopes, and I ended up disappointed.
3. The Starving Games
Like clockwork, you can expect at least one pathetic spoof movie year; and this year we got the Starving Games. As you can probably tell, this movie is based around the Hunger Games. On top of that it parodies the Expendables, the Avengers, angry birds, Avatar, Taylor Swift, and a few other things here and there. The movie is written and directed by Jason Friedberg and Aaron Aeltzer, who you might know as the creators of Date Movie, Epic Movie, Disaster Movie, Meet the Spartans, and Vampires Suck. In case you haven't seen any of these movies, let's just say these guys are no Steven Spielberg. What I don't understand about this movie is why it was made; while terrible their other movies were given a lot of attention and made lots of money. This movie was only given a limited release and barely made in any money; but to be honest, I'm actually kind of glad it failed.
2. InAPPropriate Commedy
And the award for the single most shameless movie of the year goes to InAPPropriate Comedy. While you might not know what the movie is, you might know who it's by. The movie is written and directed by Vince Offer, better known as the shamwow guy (you also might know him as the guy who beat up a hooker because she bit his tongue and wouldn't let go). InAPPropriate Comedy would best be described as a spoof movie, and possibly the worst spoof movie ever made. I heard several people call this one of the worst movies of all time; I was curious so I decided to check it out, unfortunately they were right. This movie tries to go for the shock and awe value, but in reality it's just stupid. There's no positive aspect of this movie, it is garbage; but amazingly, it's not even the worst movie of the year.
1. Movie 43
I hate this movie with a passion, plain and simple; I don't just think it's bad, I remember walking out of the theater and being physically angry I spent $6.50 to see it. Movie 43 is an embarrassment to movies, I'm not sure who sold their soul to have this movie made but they are an awful person. Here's the gist of it, a guy is trying to sell his script to a producer and we see segments from that script. Imagine the worst episode of Saturday Night Live times ten. Here's how bad it is, at one point the producer calls the script this centuries Howard the Duck which is one of the worst movies ever made. So the movie itself acknowledges the script is bad and then makes us watch scenes from it. Movie 43 is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. There is nothing good about it; the funniest scene is still sub par. If I were given a choice between a lobotomy or seeing this movie again, I'll go with the brain surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment