Friday, January 17, 2014

Movies to Look for in the First Quarter of 2014

5. The Monuments Men
While I am nervous about this movie, I'll certainly give it a chance. What I don't find completely trustworthy about is that this was a movie that was supposed to be released back in mid to late December, which is typically a month when quality movies are released; but this movie has been pushed back to early February, which is not a good sign. This is usually done when a subpar movie was originally supposed to be released in December, but the studio realizes that it's not good enough to go against all of the other winter movies so they push it back to the bad months. George Clooney (who both directed and starred in the movie) claims that it was pushed back because the special effects weren't ready, but I'm not a hundred percent sure I believe that. Never the less, the movie has a really great cast and I will give it a chance.
4. Noah
I'm sure this is going to be a movie that's going to ruffle a lot of people's feathers, from both religious and non religious people. Christians will complain that the movie isn't exactly what it is in the bible, people of other religions will complain that the movie is about Christianity and not their own religion (blasphemy), and non religious people will just complain that the movie's being made in general. Part of me doesn't want to see and review this movie, because no matter what I'm going to end up pissing someone off. What makes me most interested in the film is that it's directed by Darren Aronofsky, who's one of the best directors to emerge in the past fifteen years. It's even scored by one of my favorite composers, Clint Mansell. So while somewhat hesitant in seeing it, the movie has a lot of promise.
3. RoboCop
Remakes are always very controversial when it comes to movie goers; especially really beloved movie like RoboCop. I didn't actually see the original RoboCop movie until a few years ago; while it's an awesome action movie and see why people love it so much, it's not a movie I grew up with (which are the fans to be most upset by the remake). I'm not a huge fan of remakes, especially of good movies, so I am rather skeptical on this one; but I feel if the people behind this movie have decided to put the effort into it, this could actually be a really cool movie. I just hope they don't overdo it with the CGI (since the original film is famous for its practical effects). So while this movie could be a total miss, it has a chance of being really entertaining.
2. Veronica Mars
Words cannot express how excited I am to see this movie, I've been waiting four years for this and am still having trouble believing that it's real. A couple years ago I decided to watch the Veronica Mars TV show since I was a fan of lead actress Kristian Bell, I wasn't sure how I'd like it since it is meant to be more of a chick show; to my surprise I loved it, and to this day it is still my favorite show of all time. I attribute it mostly to the character of Veronica Mars, I love empowered women in shows and movies and Veronica is one of the best lead females ever put into a TV show. After the third season the show was canceled, but the movie was put up on Kickstarter and was funded by thousands of fans within a few hours (I was one of them). I am so excited that this movie is finally being made; at this point I can only hope it's good.
1. The Grand Budapest
As excited as I am to see the Veronica Mars movie, this is obviously the most promising movie being released before April. Written and directed by one of my favorite directors, the brilliant Wes Anderson, this is one of the most fascinating looking movies to be released all year. Wes Anderson is one of the most unique and genius directors currently working in the industry, he also has one of the most recognizable styles out there. Watching one of his movies almost feels like watching a play, every seen is painstakingly detailed. His writing is characterized by a type of dry humor, but manages to be absolutely hilarious. While some people say liking Wes Anderson is a hipster thing, he really is a fantastic director. If I were to take a guess what movie released in the first quarter of the year would most likely be great, it would be this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment