Thursday, December 18, 2014

5 Worst Movies of 2014

Note: This list is based off of my own personal opinion of what I thought were the worst movies released in 2014.

Runner-Up: Let's Be Cops
I originally saw this movie in a very early screening, several months before its release. Upon that first screening, I kind of liked it. I laughed a few times and thought the chemistry between the two leads worked. Over the next few months, up until its release, I contemplated what I thought about the movie and quickly realized that my initial impression was a little overly positive. In reality "Let's Be Cops" isn't particularly good. Other than the few funny jokes and the chemistry between the leads, this movie brings nothing new to either the comedy or buddy cop genres. It may be a decent movie to see with some friends and enjoy the absurdity that two every day schmoes pretending to be cops and getting into shenanigans, but the bad elements vastly outweighing the good ones make this a movie not worth your time.
5. Vampire Academy
Out of every terrible movie I saw in 2014, this one might have been the most difficult one to get through. It was one hour and forty five minutes of sheer boredom. Based off of the book series of the same name, it revolves around a school that raises and educates vampires. Now I realize that I am not this movie's target audience, but that doesn't make this movie any less terrible. Whether it be the bad acting, horrendous dialog, or the played up teenage problems, this movie had nothing going for it. The biggest problem thought was that it was straight up boring; I had to force myself to stay awake through it. The movie very clearly sets up for a sequel, but the movie's poor critical and commercial success suggest that it won't happen; while fans might be upset, you won't see me shed a tear.
4. Transformers: Age of Extinction
If by some odd chance that director Michael Bay sees this, I want him to known that I hate him. For a fourth time, Bay made a "Transformers" movie that is horrible. You'd think at a certain point he'd learn from his past mistakes. I don't hate him for making bad movies, if anything there are a lot of directors who make movies much worse than his. I hate him because he makes bad movies, and they make lots of money. The past two movies in this series, "Age of Extinction" and "Dark of the Moon," both made over a billion dollars and are in the top ten highest grossing movies of all time. I hate the fact that people flocked to see this overly long, terribly written, and more often than not, boring movies. While "Transformers: Age of Extinction" isn't the worst movie in the series (congratulations "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen," you're still holding onto that coveted award), it's still one of the worst movies I had the displeasure of seeing in 2014.
3. Divergent
I seemed to hate this movie more than most people, but I REALLY did hate it. I remember watching this in the theater and after a while I decided to check my phone to see what time it was because I thought it would have been about half way over, it hadn't even been thirty minutes. This was one of the most boring and painful movies I ever sat through in a theater. The only redeeming quality of "Divergent" was the decent performance from lead actress Shailene Woodly. But even she's not enough to save this two hour and twenty minute movie from bad writing, lackluster action, an uninteresting love story, and all around boredom that this movie just oozes. Shortly after its release it was announced that a sequel would come out March of 2015. What makes me sad isn't that it is being made, what makes me sad is that I'm going to have to watch it and do a review for it.
2. A Haunted House 2
I think the last spoof movie that wasn't terrible was "Scary Movie 3" back in 2003, since then the only one I can think of that wasn't truly horrendous was "A Haunted House" which was decent enough and had a few good laughs. Filmed on a low a measly 2.5 million and grossing around 60, it was no surprise that a sequel was quickly announced. Essentially copying the formula the "Scary Movie" series did years ago, "A Haunted House" and its sequel spoofs both recent and classic horror movies. While the first one was decent enough, "A Haunted House 2" is just straight up bad. I think I laughed once during its ninety minute run time. Laughably bad performances, no good jokes, tired and rehashed material, and a few scenes that are just gross, this movie very well may be the worst of the year. Designed to go after the lowest common denominator, I wish I could go back and time to stop myself from seeing this movie, and use those ninety minutes to read a book or something.
1. The Hungover Games
I didn't see a lot of terrible movies in 2014, but the ones I did see where pretty damn bad; and of those I did watched, "The Hungover Games" manages to stand out among the rest as true and utter garbage. A spoof movie playing mostly off of "The Hunger Games" and "The Hangover" (with a few other movies thrown in there), it follows the trend of other recent spoof movies in being absolutely terrible. Seriously though, this is one of the least funny comedies I have ever seen. I'm fairly certain I laughed more while watch "Sophie's Chose." Following up last year's terrible "Hunger Games" spoof "The Starving Games," this movie manages to be even worse. In a year filled with many amazing films and just as many terrible ones, "The Hungover Games" manages to stand alone as the worst movie of 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment