Saturday, September 10, 2016

5 Best Netflix Original Shows

Honorable Mentions: W/ Bob & David, F is for Family, Master of None, Jessica Jones, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.
Note: This list consists of original programs from the online streaming service Netflix; it's important to remember that I have not seen every original show from the service, so this list is made up of the ones I have seen.

Runner-UP: Stranger Things
"Stranger Things" is the youngest show on this list, coming out July, 15 of this year. The story revolves around a young boy from a small town, who suddenly disappears. His friends and family do all they can to try and locate him, but have little luck; and while all this is happening, several unexplainable things begin to happen in the town. And they all seem to lead back to a young girl. I consider myself fairly in the loop when it comes to upcoming shows, but this was one that flew completely under my radar; the first time I noticed this show existed was when I saw it advertised the day it was released on Netflix. The best way I can describe this series is that it's a mix of "Super 8," "The Goonies," and "Goosebumps;" with a little "Twin Peaks" and "The X-Files" thrown in there. "Stranger Things" might have been the break out show of 2016, and it has already gained a strong following. Netflix recently confirmed that a second season is coming in 2017, and I promise I'll be there day one to watch it all.
5. Narcos
When "Narcos" first premiered, I completely missed it; despite the good things I had heard, I just didn't have time. It wasn't until fairly recently that I've been able to sit down and watch it, and I have been blown away by this show. "Narcos" takes place in Columbia in the 80s and 90s, at the height of cocaine exportation for the country. The show primarily revolves around the drug kingpin Pablo Escobar, as well as his associates and the cops trying to take him down. Based off of true events, this is one of the most entertaining shows I've seen in years. Every episode is a thrill ride; I know that a lot of the material is dramatized, but it's amazing to think that even of a fraction of the stuff from the show actually happened. Praised by critics and audiences since its release, "Narcos" has quickly become a favorite by many of Netflix's users. With a third and fourth season recently confirmed, "Narcos" doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon.
4. Daredevil
"Daredevil" has become one of the most important series in Netflix's catalog. This show was proof that Netflix could handle Marvel properties. The show follows Matthew Murdock, a lawyer who was blinded in a freak accident when he was a child. And because of the accident, all of his other senses have been heightened. So by day he's just an average layer, but by night he takes to the street and fights crime as the Devil of Hell's Kitchen. The first season of this series aired last year, and it blew people away with its compelling story lines, over the top action, and a darker take on the current Marvel Cinematic Universe. The second season aired earlier this year, and despite receive more lukewarm reviews, it's still a fan favorite. It also set the way for future Marvel Netflix shows, such as the exceptional "Jessica Jones" and the "Luke Cage" and "Iron Fist" series. By this point I have the up most confidence in Netflix's ability to create these Marvel shows, and I can't wait to see what comes from all of them in the future.
3. Bojack Horseman
When this show first premiered, I never thought it would become as good as it has. "Bojack Horseman" follows the character of the same name, an actor most well known for his role in a 90s sitcom, as he tries to reassemble his career while fighting his personal demon. The first season was good, but at the end of the day was nothing more than another shallow animated sitcom. But starting with the second season, it became one of the most thematically deep shows on TV. Tackling themes of depression, self-loathing, self-destruction, substance abuse, and the compulsive need to be loved, "Bojack Horseman" ascended to a new level. Filled with a colorful array of characters, and highlighted by smart and entertaining writing, this show has separated from the pack and become one of the best animated shows we've seen in years. 
2. House of Cards
I'm sure there are a few people out there who now want to fight me, due to the fact that I put "House of Cards" at the number two spot; but until they write their own blog they can hold their tongue. That being said, I still think "House of Cards" is a truly amazing show. The show primarily revolves around Frank Underwood, a congressman who would work his way up the latter to the highest position in the land; and he's willing to do anything to get himself to the top. HOC was Netflix's first major hit; it was the show that proved that Netflix could be a major player when it came to original series. The first two seasons were met with critical acclaim, with both garnering numerous award nominations. The third season received much harsher criticism, but the fourth season brought the series back to old form. HOC is one of the most compelling political dramas of all time; almost every episode manages to keep you on the edge of your seat. With a fifth season on its way, I have no doubt that this show will go down as one of the greatest ever made. 
1. Orange is the New Black
When I first heard about "Orange is the New Black," I was not interested in it. When I saw the first trailer right before its premier, I was not interested. But after the first season was released I heard nothing but great things about it, so I gave it a try; I proceeded to binge watch it that same day. OITNB revolves around Piper Chapman, an upper class young woman who is sentenced to 14 months in prison for a crime she committed several years prior; and as the series goes on, we're introduced to a wide variety of unique and layered characters. As this series has gone on, it's evolved from being primarily based around Chapman, to being a complete orchestra of a dozen or two important characters. From the very first episode, I fell in love with this show; the characters, the writing, the subject matter, and much more. OITNB is one of my all time favorite shows, and I truly believe it's Netflix's best show so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment