Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Veronica Mars Series Review

If you were to go back in time and tell me one of my favorite shows of all time would be about a smart and savvy teenage girl detective solving crimes and surviving high school, I'd tell you to go f*ck yourself. But boy would I be wrong. Veronica Mars is about just what I said, a high school detective. The show premiered back in 2004 and ran for three seasons; it was well received by critics and loved by its fan base. Much of the acclaim came from Kristen Bell's performance as the shows protagonist, I couldn't think of a better actress to play the part. One problem with shows about teens is that so often they get actors who don't look like teens. Fortunately Kristen isn't just a good actress, but with a little make up and the right lighting she really did look like a teenager. While Kristen had the stand out performance, all the supporting actors where well cast and brought a unique and interesting spin to their characters. From the over protective ex-cop father to the damaged street kid who always gets into trouble, they all work great. The show follows a young girl named Veronica; she ends up doing detective work for her father who is a private investigator. She's kind of a loner and is just a lot more mature than the rest of her class mates. She used to be one of the popular kids but falls out of that group after her lifelong best friend, and the queen of the school, is murdered. And right after that the girl’s brother, who was dating Veronica, breaks it off and just ignores her. So throughout the first season she sets out to find out who killed her friend. Each season shows a huge leap forward for veronica and what type of cases she takes on. So often we see strong and empowered female characters come of really annoying, but you don't get that with Veronica. She has a surprisingly deep with some heart breaking back story. Her best friend was murdered, she was raped before the events of the show, and she finds out her father might not be her actual father. It's just nice to see a really damaged character come out of these terrible situations and use them to make her stronger. The one thing that really drew me to the show was the writing. It's the perfect amount of comedy and drama mixed up in a very smart mystery. I can't think of a show that combined comedy and drama as well as Veronica Mars did. So let's get to my final thoughts, I absolutely love this show. Alongside Firefly, it's one of my all time favorite shows. The writing, acting, and just about everything else was fantastic. While I was sad to see it go, I am ecstatic that the movie is being made. While it has some huge expectations to live up to, this is a project that the creators are very passionate about and have been working on for years; so I have faith. If the show seems appealing at all I would highly suggest checking it out, I believe the whole series on Netflix. From beginning to end the show is great, and it's finally getting the movie it deserves.   

No comments:

Post a Comment