Sunday, April 7, 2013

Evil Dead Review

Right off the bat I'm going to say this; I have seen hundreds of movies, possibly well over a thousand and countless horror movies. But never, and I mean never, have I seen so much blood in a movie as I've seen in Evil Dead. Evil Dead is a remake of the original classic 1981 film The Evil Dead, one of the most legendary cult B grade movies. The movie follows the tail of five friends. One of the girls is a drug addict so the rest of them decide to help her get clean. So they take her out to an old cabin and plan on staying there for a couple days. When they arrive at the cabin there's a horrible smell, they find a door to the basement and it's filled with dead cats hanging from the ceiling. There's also something they believe is a book wrapped in a garbage bag and barbed wire next to a shotgun. They have no idea what's going on so they decide to just ignore it and throw out the cats. One of the friends is intrigued by the situation, believing it is some sort of satanic ritual. He decides to remove the barbed wire and see what's inside. He has no idea what it is but says some sort of chant which releases something they can't explain. And whatever it is it infects the addict, and it's coming for her friends. I was hoping for a lot from this movie, I was hoping it would be the next horror classic. It's been years since we've had a truly great horror movie. So does Evil Dead fill the void...no. Like most horror movies, the acting isn't fantastic. And also like many horror movies, it can be pretty cheesy at times. I also didn't like how the movie relied on the blood and gore to carry the movie. And one thing that sure didn't help is that the movie starts off with a bang but then slows to a crawl. But even with its short comings and while this may not have been what I was really wanting, it is a genuinely good horror movie. While it relied on how gruesome it is, I was fairly impressed by it. I have sat through some of the most disgusting and grotesque movies ever made. I can sit through movies like Hostile, Human Centipede part 2, and Cabin Fever 2 without blinking an eye. But this movie made me cringe on multiple occasions, that's impressive. The movie isn't as good as the original, like many reboots, but it pays respect to the original and does a good job to honor it. Probably the best asset to the movie is that it went old school, no special effects. No CGI, no green screens, none of that. Just plain old props and it looked good. This isn't the horror movie we've been waiting for that we'll talk about five years down the line. But I will say this; it is definitely one of the better horror movies I've seen in a while.

3.5/5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment