Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Last 5 Movies I'm Excited for in 2013

Note: That's about it, other than these and the other movies I talked about I'm not really excited for any other movies for the rest of the year. I'm honestly not super interested in any of these either, it's bumming me out.
5. Anchorman: The Legend Continues
Unlike many people, I'm not a big fan of Will Ferrell. I didn't like Semi-Pro or Step Brothers, every winter when USA plays Elf 24/7 I get angry. I'm not joking, I physically get angry and my head starts to hurt. If I could choose one movie to wipe off the face it would be Elf, not Movie 43 or Batman and Robin. I would get rid of Elf. But one of my favorite comedies in the last couple years was Anchorman, it really surprised me and laughed my ass off the first time I saw it. It reminded me of Network (not nearly as good but still funny). I wanted a sequel but wasn't sure if they were going to make one. But I really am happy to see that a new Anchorman is on its way.

4. The Purge
I don't get very excited for horror movies now a days, most of them just suck. They are cheap to make movies meant to get people in the seats opening weekend to make their money back and after three weeks they aren't even in the top five. They don't look interesting they aren't original; they aren't worth getting excited for anymore. But The Purge actually looks interesting. It's hard to describe, all I can see is just go watch the trailer and you'll know what I'm talking about. The movie doesn't look half-assed; it's an original concept with a really disturbing premise. Not long ago I saw the Evil Dead which was the first horror movie in a long time I was interested in, but I'm actually excited for the purge.
3. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
I was excited for the previous film, and while it wasn't as good as I was hoping I still really enjoyed it and will probably buy it on Blu-ray. But what Unexpected Journey did wrong was that the entire movie was a set up for the rest of the series. I expect the trilogy to start hitting its stride with Desolation of Smaug. Some of my favorite parts of the Hobbit will take place in the second movie; I do hope there's less singing though. And I think we can all agree that we've been interested in The Hobbit for the same reason. Not for the characters, not to continue the Middle Earth story, but because we want to see the dragon. Game of Thrones can only do so much; they can't take care of all our dragon needs by themselves.

2. Ender's Game
I remember reading Ender's Game back in the 10th grade and thinking it was pretty good. But I hated my teacher with a burning passion so I felt that the whole experience less enjoyable. Ender's Game takes place in a dystopian universe many years from now when genius children are used as soldiers and everything is really messed up. This looks like it will be shaping up to be a visual feast like other recent space sci-fi's like Star Trek. Bright and beautiful over embellished worlds that just make you think of the future. The movie sounds very promising but I am nervous. The directors most notable work is X-men Origins-Wolverine, which wasn't what you would call... good. But I'll give the project the benefit of the doubt. 

1. Much Ado About Nothing
Never in a million years would I have thought one of the movies I'm most looking forward to for the rest of the year would be a modern adaptation of a Shakespearean play. But you must be wondering, "Why would you be interested in Phillip?" Well the answer is because I have faith in the director, Joss Whedon. He made this small movie last year called The Avengers, you probably haven't heard of it (I'm hoping you can sense my sarcasm). The movie has been shown at a couple film festivals and was met with positive reviews. I'm not a huge Shakespeare fan, especially the stuff they teach you in school (Romeo and Juliet and A Mid Summers Night Stream). But I do love King Lear so I've been meaning to give some of his other stuff a try. The trailer is out and the movie has an interesting style and looks pretty good. So I'll keep an open mind and go into it with high expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment