Wednesday, April 3, 2013

5 More 2013 Movies I'm Excited For

5. Riddick
Riddick is the newest installment in the long standing Chronicles of Riddick franchise. If you've never seen any of them you're probably wondering, "are they any good?"... No. But they are cool over the top action sci-fi cheese, which I love. The story follows a fugitive serial killer named Riddick who has been hunted for years because of the giant bounty on his head. I've been waiting for years to see a sequel and I'm really hoping that this movie is good. I loved the previous movie, I'm obviously skeptical because they are making a sequel after several years for a series that isn't even very good. And I'm very interested to see how they will continue the series after the last movie. But it has Katee Sackhoff in it so I'm game.

4. 12 Years a Slave
12 Years a Slave is about the tremendous yet heartbreaking true story of Solomon Northup, free slave who was kidnapped and sold at the D.C. auction. He is then bought and is kept as a slave for 12 years. What interests me most about the movie is that it's being directed by Steve McQueen who directed award winning movies Hunger and Shame, both of which starred Michael Fassbender who will also play a major role in 12 Years a Slave. Oscar nominated Quevenzhane Wallis (Beasts in the Southern Wild) is also in the movie which will only be her second role. As depressing as they are, these are the type of movies that I love and that strike a nerve like few others can. I have high hopes for the movie and I believe it will live up to them.
3. The Great Gatsby
I'm not sure about this one, the trailer looks amazing but I hated the book when I read it junior year. The story is about a young man named Nick who moves to the big city who be-friends the rich and mysterious philanthropist Jay Gatsby. He learns Jay is seeking out his former love who knows Nick, so Nick helps facilitate their rekindled love. But the only thing standing in his way is her husband who will do anything to expose what Gatsby. If you never read the book I'll tell you this, it's an awkward book to read. It's the characters that make it awkward everyone hates each other yet acts as friends and just lie to each other and talk about them behind their back. But the movie looks promising so I'll give it a chance.

2. Monster University
It's hard not to get excited for a Pixar movie (unless it was Cars 2, which we all know would kind of suck). Monsters U. is the prequel to Monsters, Inc. released back in 2001; the movie was met with critical praise, financial success, and the Oscar for best animated motion picture. While I'm looking forward to Monster U., it's not the movie I wanted to see Pixar make. To be honest I'm still waiting for a sequel to the Incredibles, of all the sequels they could do that's the one that makes the most since. But I'll accept this movie with open arms. I loved Monsters Inc., It may not be Pixar’s finest work but it is still a Fantastic movie and one of the best animated pictures of the twenty first century. And I'm sure Monsters U. will be a worthy successor. 
1. Only God Forgives
I'm going to tell you the truth; I wasn't excited for this movie until today after I saw the just released trailer. Only God Forgives is a new crime thriller starring Ryan Gosling, who plays an owner of a Thai boxing club in Thailand which is a front for his families drug trade; other than that not much is known. What's most intriguing me most is that it is directed by Nicolas Winding Refn who directed Drive (one of the best movies of 2011) also staring Gosling. Watching the trailer reminded me so much Drive it brought a smile to my face. What Refn brings to the table is something special, his movies are all style. Something like that rarely works but he gets the job done. All I know is this movie looks great.

2 comments:

  1. As someone who has researched Solomon Northup, I'm looking forward to release of 12 Years a Slave. For more on Northup, see my site:
    http://solomonnorthup.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christopher Nolan quits INTERSTELLAR and decides to do one more film on BATMAN.

    http://afanscut.blogspot.com/2013/04/bruce-wayne.html


    ReplyDelete